In this video, I show you how to start your own VPN server based on CentOS 8 in 10 minutes. The video shows the practical use of Ansible, Docker and OpenVPN.
I tried for the first time to record a screencast and provide it with a text description in English. I would be happy to receive comments and suggestions. Thanks for your attention!
Link to Ansible Playbook - https://github.com/rhamdeew/ansible-docker-compose-openvpn-secure-centos8
The playbook uses roles from Jeff Geerling (geerlingguy.repo-epel, geerlingguy.security, geerlingguy.pip, geerlingguy.docker)
This repo based on kylemanna/docker-openvpn but have Makefile with useful commands for comfortable OpenVPN setup.
- Tunnelblick (https://tunnelblick.net/downloads.html) – VPN-client for macOS
- Ansible (Homebrew) – IT automation tool
- Tmux (Homebrew) – terminal multiplexer (optional)
- Alacritty (Homebrew) – fast terminal emulator (optional)
- DigitalOcean account - hosting provider with fast VPS provisioning (optional)
Screencast contains 4 steps:
- Generate SSH-key pair, create a virtual server with CentOS 8
- Clone and run Ansible Playbook for basic server setup and installing Docker
- Quickly configure OpenVPN settings and start Docker-container
- Add client-config to VPN-client and connect