I just switched to using Alacritty (as in about 40 mins ago, give or take). It's a fair bit more bare bones then the ITerm2 I was using but to be completly honest I never used any of the extra features provided by it so I'm not missing anything.
It's a lot faster than Iterm2 by a lot I'm also finding that Nvim has sped up a lot and by far the best feature is that it's solved one the biggest bugbears I've ever had about Iterm2 (and Apples Term). I use Powerline fonts but one the biggest issues is that ITerm2 never rendered them properly as a result the tips of the powerline characters stuck up and as a result made everything just a little bit ugly. That problem is non-existent on Alacritty (at least for me)
AS for negatives there are a few. To use it as an
.app you have to clone the repo and then build it, not a big issue but it took a while.
I did have issues getting Alacritty to find the font I wanted. I told it to look for a font called
Knack Regular Nerd Font Complete but it kept saying it didn't exist. I posted an issue and someone said they tried
Knack Nerd Font so I tried that and it worked.
Finally there is a bug I get with tmux, where the last character of the status line is moved to the beginning of the next line. For some people it would be a deal breaker but for me I can live with it as it appears next to buffer tab line (airline) on neovim so I don't notice it plus I can live with that over misaligned powerline characters so long as I set the last line of the tmux status line to
|. I've added an issue on Github so hopefully it gets fixed soon.
Any way, I'm really liking it and can't wait for it to get even better.