Traditionally, starting an online eCommerce store requires some investment. The major portion of this money is used to purchase the inventory. Meaning that you need to have some products in stock before selling them.
But, dropshipping has completely changed the way we do business online. It introduces the concept of selling someone else products in our store.
Shopify is an online service that enables you to launch an eCommerce business with ease. Basically, they manage the technical stuff for you like hosting, security, updates, etc.
Whereas, WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin through which you can create and customize an eCommerce store according to your needs. It gives you much more flexibility than Shopify as you’re in complete control.
In dropshipping, you need to source products from online Suppliers and Vendors. Basically, when someone places an order on your website/app then the supplier is automatically informed about it. They receive the order details as well as where to ship them.
Once the order is ready, the supplier ships it to the buyer. Our job is just to bring more customers and the supplier will handle their orders.
Here, we earn money through margins. Meaning that if a supplier is selling a product for $100 and we add that product on our website at $125, then we will earn $25 for each sale.
Shopify is a software to set up an online shop. It has tons of features that make it stand out from other eCommerce platforms.
For example, it has features like:
- Readymade themes that are specifically designed for online stores.
- Integration with 100 payment gateways.
- Launch your shop in 50+ languages.
- Out of the box support for Dropshipping.
- Quickly integrate with social media platforms. For example, you can sell on Facebook from Shopify.
- Intuitive inventory management functionality.
- Support for Video & 3D assets.
- Fast speed web hosting including SSL certificate.
- Product reports and analytics.
- Support for Augmented reality (AR)
It is a paid service that works on a subscription model. They have three packages to fulfill the needs of small, medium, and large eCommerce businesses.
- Basic Shopify – Starting at $29 per month
- Shopify – Starting at $79 per month
- Advanced Shopify – Starting at $299 per month
On the other hand, WooCommerce is an open-source WordPress plugin that allows you to host an online shop yourself.
There are many hosting companies out there, but using the best one is very important for the overall success of the eCommerce business. Here’s a comparison between the best WordPress hosting to help you make an informed decision.
The major reason for using WooCommerce is that Shopify is very costly. They even charge a fee per sale. But, while using WooCommerce we don’t have to give any subscription fee.
As we have the complete source code of WooCommerce so we can easily customize it for any special use case.