The Windows terminal provides a much improved command line experience in Windows . It’s packed with useful features like GPU acceleration, tabs, panes, themes, and shortcuts, along with full support for different environments such as PowerShell, Command Prompt, and Windows Subsystem for Linux. In this article, I’ll describe a few ways to tailor the terminal experience to your needs along with tips and tricks to make your experience much better.
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), Mostly every one using this WSL for Terminal customization, but in this article i'll provide you another way for customizing your widows terminal with out using the WSL.
NOW i'll provide my powershell setup
Firstly go through the article before starting the process so that you have an idea what's going on , so that you can know what else you need to do
Now open windows terminal and now you have to open settings for that you need to click here on top of the windows terminal.
Now you will find settings button
- Default profile to powershell (you downloaded from microsoftstore)
- Default terminal appilication - windows terminal
Now under profiles you will find
- Default click on it and now you need click on
- appearance : under appearance,you need to change Text colour scheme to One half Dark. now you need to install the hack font under install font section you will have instructions to install fonts Or choose your desired fonts
here you can adjust the Acrylic opacity accourding to your need.
now you will find save option and click to save the settings.
- Hack (NerdFonts) - A Powerline patched font
- Scoop - A command-line installer
- Oh My Posh -prompt theme engine
- Terminal-Icons - file and folder icons
- psReadline - Cmdlets for customizing the editing environment, used for autocompletion
- Z -Directory jumper
- Fzf, PSFzf - Fuzzy finder
Nerdfonts - My personal choice hack font
Download hack.zip and extract the zip file and install the fonts. consists like this(hack of Nerd Complete mono windows compatable (opentype) open these files and click install, it will get installed in your windows.
- Now open your windows terminal and follow the commands
- scoop - A command-line installer , type the following commands in powershell
Open windows terminal and type the following commands to install
iwr -useb get.scoop.sh | iex scoop install curl sudo jq
- Git for windows just type the following command in powershell.
winget install -e --id Git.Git
It will install git to windows
scoop install neovim gcc
Next create a user profile
You can do this in two methods
@@@@1 Simple method @@@@
1.Download .config folder and move this folder to ( C:\Users\your username)
- if you want to find user name just press windows+R or open run and type this 'netplwiz' then it will show it will show your username. (or)
- In 'C drive' you will have users folder and in that you will find your usernamefolder(it will be your system name ) so paste these files over there. Note: in the .config folder there will be two files
- in the first file user_profile.ps1 you need to change this text which is shown in image to your username.omp.json
- here you need to rename the ' 2nd file (yeswa.om.json) name 'to yourusername.omp.json.
(eg: yeswa.omp.json) here yeswa is my username, so replace or rename yeswa to your username.
if your username is Ben change to Ben.omp.json)
if you use the above method , now open windows terminal you need to use the following command
And Continue this Process
- If you uses the above 1st method skip the 2nd method to avoid errors
-@@@@@@@@@@@ # 2 method @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
- ### 2.ManualProcess
It will create a folder in 'Cdrive' as .config
- And inside of it will create a powershell folder
- And inside of it will create this file user_profile.ps1 now type this command
to insert the text just press i button in keyboard and paste the text
Now u need to copy the text from github user_profile.ps1 and paste the text into the user_profile.ps1(the file you have created)
and to save the text press ESC button in keyboard and press :wq buttons and hit enter button
if you face any error press ESC button and :q! buttons and enterbutton this will not save any text in the file
so you need to follow the first method.
and next type the following command to create another file(
- here yourusername will be windows username followed by .omp.json
In the same way you need to create another file(yourusername.omp.json) copy the text from yeswa.omp.json and paste the text into it yourusername.omp.json
Now type these in windows terminal
- Oh My Posh -Prompt theme engine For installing oh my posh type the following commands in powershell
Install -Module posh-git -Scope CurrentUser -Force Install -Module oh-my-posh -Scope CurrentUser -Force
# Install nvm in power shell
scoop install nvm
# Install Terminal Icons in powershell
- Terminal Icons - Folder and file icons To install
Install-Module -Name Terminal-Icons -Repository PSGallery -Force Import-Module Terminal-Icons
- Z - Directory jumper
Install-Module -Name z -Force zdesk
PSR ReadLine - Cmdlets for customizing the editing environment, used for autocompletion
Install-Module -Name PSReadLine -AllowPrerelease -Scope CurrentUser -Force -SkipPublisherCheck set-PSReadLineOption -PredictionSource History set-PSReadLineOption -PredictionViewStyle ListView
- PSFzf - Fuzzy finder
Install-Module -Name PSFzf -Scope CurrentUser -Force Set-PSFzfOption -PSReadLineChordProvider 'Ctrl+f' -PSReadLineChordReverseHistory 'Ctrl+r'
Themes ftom the themes youcan get any theme for free
here you can find a variety of themes that can use click on themes to get know more about themes
now you can set the themes by this command
set-PoshPrompt - theme name and hit enter
you succefully customized your terminal without using any wsl.
- Light/dark mode toggle
- Live previews
- Fullscreen mode
- Cross platform