DEV Community

Cover image for Safety Matters: a crack on the laptop could burn down the house
Junxiao Shi
Junxiao Shi

Posted on

Safety Matters: a crack on the laptop could burn down the house

Three months ago, I noticed a small 1-millimeter crack under my laptop, between the keyboard and the base. I thought: it's just cosmetic - maybe I broke some plastic parts when I tried to vacuum off the dust?

This week, I noticed that the crack has enlarged to about 5 millimeters. I asked around and realized that I have a swollen battery in the laptop.

According to DELL forum, a swollen battery, if not removed promptly, could catch fire and burn down my house. This means, there has been a ticking time bomb under my palm for the past few months.

Following the procedure, I carefully disassembled the laptop and gently took out the battery. It's a 4-cell battery, and two of the battery cells have expanded to twice of the normal thickness. I'm glad that I caught this safety hazard in time.

Please regularly inspect your battery operated devices, including laptops, phones, drones, and IoT gadgets. If you notice a swollen battery, unplug the power supply and run the device until the battery is drained, then disconnect and remove the battery.
Because safety matters.


Discussion (1)

Collapse
otumianempire profile image
Otu Michael

According to DELL forum, a swollen battery, if not removed promptly, could catch fire and burn down my house. This means, there has been a ticking time bomb under my palm for the past few months.