After a great deal of thought, I have decided to migrate my blog from Wordpress and create a custom blog using Django.
You can check out my new blog here:
I posted the entire Django Takeoff!! book/course on the website for free in a series of blog posts. Enjoy !!
These are some of the reasons why I decided to build a custom blog instead of using Wordpress.
- Cheaper costs since you don't have to worry about databases, serving static files, etc.
- Allows you to focus on your writing.
- Well-known platform to start blogging.
- No programming knowledge needed.
- Little maintenance required.
- There are thousands of plugins but somehow I never got what I wanted from them.
- Design of the website felt artificial.
- Limited control over how to do things.
- Great plugins = Paid plugins
- Unlimited control over the website.
- Custom styling and design.
- Easy to modify(No more annoying blocks).
- More maintenance required.
- Higher cost (database, static files hosting, etc).
- Requires programming knowledge.
The above pros and cons are personal, in the end, it really depends what you want to focus on. If you want to focus on writing blog posts consistently, I'd say go for Wordpress.
If you are trying to become a developer or you blog about programming, I'd say create your own custom blog.
My goal in the beginning was to write blog posts so I went for WordPress, however, as I was learning how to program, I started creating my own custom blog.
Also I was writing blogs posts about programming, yet my blog was built using Wordpress.(Nothing wrong with doing this)
Nevertheless, to me it looked as if I was preaching something and then doing something complete opposite. In other words, I wanted to lead by example.