DEV Community

Cover image for RFC: Call React component state variables "statelings"
Better Coding Academy
Better Coding Academy

Posted on • Updated on

RFC: Call React component state variables "statelings"

I've been a professional web developer for just over 10 years now. I'm currently the lead web development instructor at Better Coding Academy, and as part of what I do, I post videos on our YouTube channel at

(Subscribe for awesome web development content!)

I was talking with one of my students, and he asked me this question regarding React:

What do you call the things that exist inside state={}

It totally caught me off guard.

For those of you who don't know, the "proper" name is state variables, but personally I'm ever so slightly biased towards statelings.

What do you guys think? 😁

Top comments (2)

dance2die profile image
Sung M. Kim • Edited

I've been calling them as:

For class components (CC), "state properties", for function components(FC), "states" as you can have one state variables in CC while multiple (via hooks) in CC.

I will refer'em both as state variables from now on :)

metruzanca profile image
Samuele Zanca

CompletelyuUnrelated but when ever i hear the word -ling I always thing of Ling Yao.

I've always just referred to those vars as state variables. Tho stateling would definitely turn some confused heads.