My tweet received pretty much questions from different developers. It takes a lot of time to give the answers for everyone. That's why I decided to make a post here with some of the general tips.
Let's dive right into the tips step by step.
If you are searching for a job, be sure your LinkedIn profile is updated and the most important sections are filled.
Recruiters use Boolean search to find developers in LinkedIn. That's why it's very important to fill all the gaps with proper information. Here are several tips:
- Use your description section below the name to show you are searching for a job. The most common phrases are "open for new opportunities" or "looking for a job".
- Go to Settings and Privacy -> Job seeking preferences -> Let Recruiters know you're open to opportunities. This option is OFF by default. Turn it ON and you will also upgrade your visibility for recruiters.
- Fill your About section. Add some information about you and what is more important - add your stack and technologies you are using or used before.
- Update your Skills section and add technologies you are using.
- Add all the main Courses and Online Courses you have passed (Only main and valuable). This will add some points to your experience and knowledge of the field.
- Add Certificates if you have any related to IT branch. It may not be important on the tech interview, but will be useful to pass the HR/Recruiter interview.
- Fill Languages section. Sometimes it's very important for the employer and this one little section can totally change the Recruiter's vision.
All of this tips will highly increase your visibility when recruiters will use Boolean search in LinkedIn to find a developer.
A lot of people trying to find their first job on twitter. Yes, it's possible, but usually not works for junior developers.
But there are several things you can do to increase your hiring chances if the Recruiter will find you:
- Change your bio description and add information about searching for a job (like in LinkedIn).
- Try to be active. If the recruiter will find your profile, it's important to show that you are still in game. So please, don't forget about your twitter profile and at least made some tweets periodically.
Nowadays recruiters have additional tools to make search easier. There are several tools for searching through GitHub profiles. Don't hesitate to add the same 'open for new opportunities' info to your bio, your current level and stack.
Also, try to be active in your own repository. It's not very important for hiring but a good sign in general.
- Open your profiles and DM's on every social media you are using. It's very common situation when you just can't send a message in twitter to a person that may be interested in job.
- Add contact info to your social media profiles.
- Add photo to your profile.
- Never start looking for a job without prepared Resume and Portfolio.
And one really helpful advice - find a friend-recruiter. Usually recruiters have several thousands connects in LinkedIn and they can boost your profile among other recruiters and employers. Your hiring chances will increase significantly.
I hope this information will be useful for you. These are just general and the basic tips. However, a lot of people forget about them.
If you want to know something deeper - write me.
If you want some Resume advice - write me.
If you want any help with hiring advice - write me.
Will do my best.