Hey there folks!
I'm Amy. I'm 22, have just landed my first job after uni and for the first time in a long time I feel like things are truly starting to go my way!
I had a tough time at uni, dealign with mental health and direct discrimination due to being a woman studying Computer Science. I tried to leave my university better than I found, helping to create the Women in Tech group and supporting the efforts of staff and other students to increase the gender diversity within the department.
I find a lot of women struggle to see how they can start making a difference, so I thought I'd share some of the ways I feel I've helped:
- Just being a woman in tech!
- Apply to be part of organisations/schemes (during my time at uni I have been a GitHub Campus Expert and an MLH Coach Organisations such as these tend to put you more in the spotlight, giving more people an opportunity to see you)
- Get involved in the hackathon scene (in general it's a really welcoming and accepting community, and if you are no longer a student see if your company can sponsor a local hackathon and send you along to the event)
- Amplify and support the women around you
- Talk about the difficulties faced by women in tech