DEV Community 👩‍💻👨‍💻

Luke Nguyen
Luke Nguyen

Posted on • Updated on

Happy Hacktoberfest! 🎃 - Part 3

Introduction

Continuing from my latest post about Hacktoberfest, I decided to work on another issue from Medusa's repo. However, the difficulty level this time far exceeded what I had expected.

The issue and challenges

The task was to generate an API fixture for the data model returned by Medusa's API. To my surprise, setting up the dev environment was surprisingly challenging compared to the linting issue. I kept running into crashes while running the installation command and didn't know what I was missing. To make it worse, I was overwhelmed by the massive error logs and couldn't go over them to see what I was missing.

Requesting assistance

Realizing that I couldn't do this on my own, I hopped on Medusa Discord's channel and began asking for help. I was surprised by the friendliness of the community and how active everyone was, including the developers. I managed to get in touch with one in just a few hours and, thanks to his help, identified the missing packages and finished the installation.

Working on the code was also quite hard. Despite having the instruction, I had to also rely on other people's pull requests to understand what I should do. I spent hours reading through issues with similar tasks and studied the code very carefully, taking advantage of the Discord channel as much as I could to clear up any confusion. In the end, I managed to merged my pull request with the help of the developers and a classmate who recently finished a similar issue.

Conclusion

Working on such a challenging issue was quite an experience. I realized that I still have a long way to go to be more confident in JavaScript, and this issue was a great starting point. With one more issue left to do before Hacktoberfest ends this weekend, I'm excited to see where I will be next.

Cheers!🍻

Top comments (0)

🌚 Friends don't let friends browse without dark mode.

Sorry, it's true.