Researches show that we are really productive around 3 hours per 8 hour-day work. That might be incredibly shocking but this app made me realize that is indeed true; I had finally a tool that basically tracks my productivity time for me, and the results were like a bucket of ice. Whenever I felt that I did work a lot, Forest showed me that I had just 2 or 3 focused times.
Now I try to accomplish my set goal of at least 4 hours of focus time.
Forest is [not] another tool to set a timeout of 10 to 120 minutes. You will earn a virtual tree if you complete the session without exiting the app, and it will die if you fail the session. Then you can see all your forest with all the trees you have earned, and display by day, week, month or year!
Probably is to get the most of our anxiety, nobody wants to stop one session and see the tree die. It will be dead in your forest.
See how many minutes are you really productive per day.
And if you set a daily goal, you are going to get all the juice of Forest.
Yes, you can; it's a matter of personal honor in my opinion. With friends we have defined some in-house rules, so we are measured with the same metrics.
- When we are in a session, we really commit to it; we don't make any other activity besides our main focus.
- On interruptions longer than 1 minute, we stop the timer. Yes! Even if Amazon just delivers your new books :)
- Focus time is considered only when we really need to be concentrated like coding, 3D modeling or reading. It does not apply for sports, cleaning, watching videos. Of course, that are our rules, you can use whatever fits best for you!
Probably you are familiar with the pomodoro technique where you commit to work sessions of 25 uninterrupted minutes and rest 5 minutes each session.
I started using Forest with along with this technique, and I recommend it using it as a starting point. Now I can commit to sessions of 45 minutes easily.
You can see your friends forests, and show off yours!
One of the coolest features is that you can spend 2,500 in-game currency to plan a real tree!
- Track your productivity focus time, it can be coding time or read sessions.
- Social gamification makes it funnier, you can feel the race with your friends to be a bit more productive. With one friend we even bet nano to achieve a certain amount of focus time per day!
- Contribute by planting a real tree. Having been there, but will be my first purchase once I earn enough coins 🌲
And if you do, add me as a friend!
firstname.lastname@example.org, I appear as my artistic id
If you already use this app, share what has worked for you.
Disclaimer, I don't work for this guys, nor I'm associated with them. I'm just sharing an amazing tool that it's been working for me.