In this tutorial, we're gonna build a Spring Boot and Oracle example with database connection that uses Hibernate, Spring Data JPA to make CRUD Operations. You'll know:
- How to configure Spring Data, JPA, Hibernate to work with Oracle Database
- How to define Data Models and Repository interfaces
- Way to create Spring Rest Controller to process HTTP requests
- Way to use Spring Data JPA to interact with Oracle Database
Full Article at: https://bezkoder.com/spring-boot-hibernate-oracle/
Overview of Spring Boot and Oracle example
We will build a Spring Boot + Hibernate + Oracle example that exports Rest CRUD API for a Tutorial application:
- Each Tutotial has id, title, description, published status.
- Apis help to create, retrieve, update, delete Tutorials.
- Apis also support custom finder methods such as find by published status or by title.
These are APIs that we need to provide:
|POST||/api/tutorials||create new Tutorial|
|GET||/api/tutorials||retrieve all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials/:id||retrieve a Tutorial by
|PUT||/api/tutorials/:id||update a Tutorial by
|DELETE||/api/tutorials/:id||delete a Tutorial by
|DELETE||/api/tutorials||delete all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials/published||find all published Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials?title=[keyword]||find all Tutorials which title contains
- We make CRUD operations & finder methods with Hibernate and Spring Data JPA's
- The database will be Oracle 12c/19c by configuring project dependency & datasource.
When you run the Spring Boot + Oracle example, tutorials table will be automatically generated in Oracle Database.
You can see things like this:
Create some Tutorials:
Check Oracle database after create operation:
Update some Tutorials:
Check Oracle database after update operation:
Get all Tutorials:
Get a Tutorial by Id:
Find all published Tutorials:
Find all Tutorials which title contains 'ring':
Delete a Tutorial:
Check Oracle database after delete Operation:
Delete all Tutorials:
Now the table has no record:
You can also test this Spring Boot App with Client in one of these posts:
- Angular 8 CRUD Application example with Web API
- Angular 10 CRUD Application example with Web API
- Angular 11 CRUD Application example with Web API
- Vue 2 CRUD Application with Vue Router & Axios
- Vue 3 CRUD Application with Axios & Vue Router
- React CRUD example to consume Web API
- React Redux CRUD example with API calls
- Java 8
- Spring Boot 2 (with Spring Web MVC, Spring Data JPA)
- Oracle 12c or 19c
- Maven 3.6.1
Let me explain it briefly.
Tutorial data model class corresponds to entity and table tutorials.
TutorialRepository is an interface that extends JpaRepository for CRUD methods and custom finder methods. It will be autowired in
TutorialController is a RestController which has request mapping methods for RESTful requests such as: getAllTutorials, createTutorial, updateTutorial, deleteTutorial, findByPublished...
– Configuration for Spring Datasource, JPA & Hibernate in application.properties.
– pom.xml contains dependencies for Spring Boot and Oracle.
For step by step and Github, please visit:
If you want to add Pagination to this Spring project, you can find the instruction at:
Spring Boot Pagination & Filter example | Spring JPA, Pageable
To sort/order by multiple fields:
Spring Data JPA Sort/Order by multiple Columns | Spring Boot
Handle Exception for this Rest APIs is necessary:
- Spring Boot @ControllerAdvice & @ExceptionHandler example
- @RestControllerAdvice example in Spring Boot
Or way to write Unit Test for the JPA Repository:
Spring Boot Unit Test for JPA Repositiory with @DataJpaTest