Hey folks! I love the resolutions that are going around here and I thought I would do my own! I'm only a month late, so we are off to a good start... 🤣 First off, I wanna point out this great post by Frederik:
I love the idea and I want to try it out. So without further ado, my 2019 theme is:
I've been a developer for a while now. I've worked a few different types of jobs mostly in consulting or on a product team. One thing I am starting to realize is that good development starts with good principals. I'm still working on refining and discovering what all of those principals are, but here are a few that I am currently pursuing.
- Continuous metrics drive continuous improvement
- Opinions are not facts.
- Don't blame, fix.
- Don't make your code do too much.
- You can't fix code by staring at it.
- Write Everything Twice
- Always comment your abstractions
- Optimize for deletion
- Write for yourself, edit for your reader
- Close the loop. Don't let connections fall off.
- A mentor will share their experiences with you to contribute to your knowledge base.
- A mentor will use their network to help you succeed to achieve your goals.
- Write on dev.to at least once a week
- Speak at a tech conference
- Release some work on a side project I have been developing
- Release 3 series around learning to be a developer (First one is being written now!)