I struggle constantly with this. I want to learn everything. One day I'll wake up and decide I really want to dive into C but as I begin to prep, I talk myself out of it. The thoughts usually go something like this...
- C would be really cool to learn
- I should find a YouTube video that builds a simple project
- (searches for a good video for 30 minutes)
- (finds video)
- (opens IDE/vim)
- Wait, I probably should learn something more relevant to my day job if I'm going to be spending time on this today
- (closes video, closes IDE)
- goto 1, choose different topic
Some weekends I'll spend hours doing this with no progress. Most of the time I can convince myself that learning anything is always relevant, but it's hard some days.
I think my problem boils down to something quite simple. If I don't have a clear goal or project, it's hard for me to focus.
Does anyone else suffer from this problem and if so, how do you navigate it?