Cover image alt: Header reading this blog post's title on a blank piece of paper sitting atop a desk with writing pens and ink.
Originally posted on my personal blog site.
Dear Women & Girls,
Take up space. You are smart and deserving. If a man or boy tries to make you feel otherwise, refer to this list of statements below. Thanks to @necessaryaf on Twitter for this list.
- You interrupted me, I’m not finished talking.
- That isn’t funny.
- That isn’t appropriate.
- I already know that.
- That won’t be necessary.
- Leave me alone.
- You're making me uncomfortable.
- Stop ignoring what I’m saying.
- You owe me an apology.
- You don't need to be that close to me.
- If you insist on speaking to me in this manner, I’m going to ask you to leave/I will not continue this conversation with you.
We're socially trained to soften our language, but we can change that.
A Tired Woman in Tech