Recently, I was given the responsibility of hiring a new engineer for our development team.
Here are some of the questions hiring managers are likely to ask, along with a brief summary of the answers they might be looking for!
- Answer: Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) is a mechanism that enables different resources on a web page to be requested from another domain outside the domain from which the request originated.
- Why this is asked: This question may be asked to determine the level of understanding an interviewee might have regarding servers and HTTP methods.
Understanding CORS is useful because it allows servers to specify not only who can access the assets, but also how they can be accessed. With CORS, a server can specify who can access its assets and which HTTP request methods are allowed from external resources.
- Answer: The Id selector finds and modifies the style of any single element while the Class selector can modify the style of any number of elements.
- Why this is asked: This question is a great opportunity for the interviewee to show their knowledge of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). The interviewer is looking to see that you can demonstrate experience and knowledge with CSS by understanding the difference between the Id and Class selectors.
Having experience styling HTML is a great benefit as it demonstrates Front End Development experience, which would be invaluable in a Full Stack position.
- Answer: '==' and '===' fall under the equality/comparison operators category. '==' checks the 2 values either side of the operator are equal to one another. Whereas the '===' operator checks equality of the values, but also of the types of each value. This is referred to as "Type Strict Comparison". For example, a string value of "2" will not be equal to an integer value of 2.
- Answer: Git is a distributed version-control system for tracking changes in source code during software development.
- Why this is asked: Version control is a large part of the software development industry. The interviewer wants to know if you have experience with using GIT.
Version control is vital to effective software development, from small scale to large scale projects. Knowing how to use version control effectively will be the biggest contributor to your career!
If you made is this far congratulations! 🎉
Hopefully you've learned something in this post that will help you when interviewing during your job hunting journey!