As I explore options for the next phase of my career, I've grown more and more curious about the emerging role of developer advocates in the software engineering world.
In this interview, I discuss the role with Layla, a developer evangelist for Twilio. Layla has her own livecoding stream on Twitch, is a Microsoft MVP, and was recently elected to the board of the .NET Foundation.
- Layla's unique path into software development
- What Developer Relations "is" and the two big roles: advocate and evangelist (and how they differ)
- How Twilio built an advocate-centric business around a large team of developer relations specialists
- Various approaches to developer advocacy content creation from documentation to live streaming on "official channels" vs person channels, etc.
- The role of developer AMBASSADORS - community members who are passionate about a product and are then supported by the company
And MUCH more.
This is an exciting niche within the software development world. I feel like I was built for it in a lot of ways, and I'm definitely curious to meet more developer advocates/evangelists and hear about their experiences!
I also really liked getting to have a conversation with a developer who's daily work life is so different from my own. May do more of these.
(Follow me on Twitch to catch 'em live when I do. 😁)
Until next time!