It's official, Node.js v14 is live and it's packed with new awesome features. The highlights in this release include an upgrade of V8 and many other improvements. Let's see what has changed and what's new
What's new in Node.js v 14
Node.js offers a lot for developers and the latest version adds even more!
1. V8 engine upgraded to version 8.1
- Optional Chaining - which allows accessing the value of a property located deep within a chain of connected objects without the need to expressly validate that each reference in the chain,
- Nullish Coalescing - a logical operator returning its right-hand side operand when its left-hand side operand is null/undefined (and otherwise returning its left-hand side operand),
Intl.DisplayNames- providing the consistency of language, region, and script display names translations,
2. Experimental Web Assembly System Interface
The 14.x release includes an experimental implementation of the Web Assembly System Interface (WASI) in order to provide better performance, cross-platform support, and could drastically simplify usage of native modules.
3. Experimental Async Local Storage API
The numerous attempts to manage context across Async Calls resulted in experimental Async Hooks API being introduced in earlier versions of Node.js. As Async Local Storage was a key use case of Async Hooks API, the 14.x release brings an experimental Async Local storage API.
4. Diagnostic Report goes Stable
The diagnostic report was originally released in v12 as an experimental feature. in v14 it's been promoted to a stable feature. It provides triggered/on-demand reports containing useful insights about issues occurring on production including but not limited to unexpected errors, crashes, memory leaks, extensive CPU usage etc.
5. Hardening of the streams APIs
Latest release contains numerous changes to Streams implementation aiming to improve consistency across the Streams APIs i.e.:
http.OutgoingMessageis similar to
net.Socketbehaves exactly like
autoDestroyoption is set 'true' by default and makes stream always call
6. Removal of Experimental Modules Warning
Despite the need to include the
experimental-modules flag was removed in v13 running EcmaScript Modules in Node.js would still result in a warning
ExperimentalWarning: The ESM module loader is experimental. This warning was removed in v14 but the ESM implementation still remains experimental so be cautious when using ESM in production environments.
Quite a lot right? Node.js 14 will be the
Current release for the next 6 months and then promoted to Long-term Support (LTS) in October 2020. This update looks really awesome and if you can't wait to get your hand on it download Node.js version 14.
Boost your API with GraphQL
GraphQL Editor is a tool that would help you build, manage & deploy your GraphQL API much faster thanks to dozens of built-in micro features like mock backend or frontend engine for previewing your GraphQL queries!
Top comments (0)