The journey we call life is full of surprises. On top of that, we decided to add this crazy profession called software development.
Our lives are never boring. There's hardly a dull moment. We have to make decisions and many other decisions will be made for us.
Here's a few examples off top my head:
- Office politics
- Job rejections
- Being fired...err downsized
- Someone crushing your PR
- Your "junior" opinion is ignored
- Boring product
- Using old tech
- Job not matching job description
The outcome might lead to anger, resentfulness, unhappiness, regret, guilt or even hate!
It leaves us with a feeling of being stuck. The question I have for you is: why?
Why do we allow ourselves to do this to ourselves?
I believe we don't this on purpose. I believe we do this because we don't know other alternatives.
I invite you to look at these events from a different perspective.
- Will this matter in 3 hours?
- Will this matter in 3 days?
- Will this matter in 3 weeks?
- Will this matter in 3 months?
- Will this matter in 3 years?
You will quickly find out that very few things are really worth your anger, resentfulness, unhappiness, regret, guilt or hate!