RSS once was the way to gather all the news you are interested in, in one place. Like a Facebook feed, but entirely managed by yourself. Over the past decade I maintained a pretty solid list of feeds for various topics. Inspired by the Tweet of David McKay I decided to publish this list of all the interesting feeds I currently follow and regularly read.
This first section lists magazines, company blogs and personal blogs which cover various topics from internet culture, privacy or server infrastructure, to web development without a specific focus.
- A List Apart Kind of must-read for internet culture, best practises, and inclusive design and development. Website | Feed
- CSS Tricks Well known magazine for all topics related to the frontend: HTML, CSS, JS, performance and accessibility. Website | Feed
- Codrops Collectives The Codrops Collectives has been one of the most valuable resources for inspiration, new tools and great articles from around the web. Website | Feed
- Scotch.io They publish a lot of tutorials about frontend stuff, but mostly JS. Website | Feed
- Sitepoint Blog A big magazine publishing helpful and valuable articles for a broad range of topics from HTML + CSS, over design and UX, to Wordpress and PHP. Website | Feed
- Smashing Magazine articles The Smashing Magazine is a reputable source for news, tutorials and articles about internet culture, web development and web design. Website | Feed
- Alex Sexton Alex is all-in on JS, covering performance, best practises and programming. Website | Feed
- David Walsh Website | Feed
- Jeff Atwood: Codinghorror Jeff, co-founder of Stackoverflow, writes about everything in his mind: technology, the web and hosting. Website | Feed
- Jonathan Snook Jonathan is a great guy writing about his experiences as a web engineer. Website | Feed
- Lea Verou As a well-known frontend engineer, Lea writes mostly about frontend design and has some intriguing articles about CSS. Website | Feed
- Matt Stauffer I am not a listening to his podcast, but Matt publishes plenty articles about his work as a web engineer and maker. Website | Feed
Not really dedicated to web development, the following blogs and magazines are devoted to software engineering or infrastructure.
- Etsy: Code as Craft Etsy's blog holds many useful articles about their infrastructure, performance and working on their huge platform. Website | Feed
- Github Blog Github not only shares details about its platform but also useful details about version control, programming and the web. Website | Feed
- Martin Fowler Martin Fowler is an expert and reputable software engineer, talking about all sorts of topics around coding. Website | Feed
- Netflix Tech Blog If interested in highly-scalable infrastructure, the Netflox Tech Blog got you covered. Website | Feed
- Robert C. Martin: Clean Code Robert Martin, well known author and speaker, writes about software engineering and best practises. Website | Feed
- The Daily WTF The title says it all: daily WTFs from the web, programming and technology. Website | Feed
The following blogs are tailored to PHP and the Laravel ecosystem. It's not much, because a lot of content is covered by the previous list.
- Free Van der Herten As a well-known developer in the Laravel ecosystem, he posts numerous tutorials and articles about his work. Website | Feed
- Jetbrains' PhpStorm Blog The Jetbrains PhpStorm blog is not only interesting for those working with the application, but the monthly PHP Annotated covers the whole PHP universe. Website | Feed
- Laravel News A great resource for all people working in the Laravel ecosystem. Website | Feed
- Rob Allen Rob writes about his life as a software developer, covering mostly PHP topics. Website | Feed
These are some blogs and magazines that focus on design and design resources, instead of the development side. Interesting for those searching for inspiration for their sites or resources like icons, images and interesting new tools.
- Boxes and Arrows Boxes and Arrows is devoted to the practice, innovation, and discussion of design. Website | Feed
- Luke Wroblewski As a respected product designer, Luke writes about his experiences in the field. Website | Feed
- One Extra Pixel If you search for inspiration and helpful resources for design, One Extra Pixel got you covered. Website | Feed
- Webdesignerdepot I follow their Popular Design News of the Week for a long time now and discovered many cool tools and articles. Website | Feed
- Webdesign Ledger Same as One Extra Pixel, Webdesign Ledger publishes inspiration, trends and resources. Website | Feed
Quite a few feeds to discover, huh? But what are your favorite RSS feeds? Share the best ones with us!
This article appeared first on my Blog