Reviewing the NodeJS ecosystem, there seem to be many competing tools for similar functionality — Knex vs Waterline vs Sequelize for ORMs; Sails vs Express vs Trails vs for base frameworks; db-migrate vs sails-migrations vs Knex migration support for database migrations; etc.
Coming from the Rails world, where there is (relative) consensus on tools, this is a bit overwhelming.
Basically, I'm looking for a toolchain that supports the following features:
- Database migrations
- Good PostgreSQL support
- Supports building JSON APIs
- Secrets management (nconf seems promising...)
Ergonomically, I look for the following:
- Integrated — pieces should easily play well together
- MVC-ish (the 'V' in this case is JSON, but still...)
- Production-safe (specifically for SQL DBs — seems like a lot of NodeJS tuts assume NoSQL DBs, and thus ignore stuff like schema versioning & migrations)
I've been messing around with SailJS, and like some of the ideas behind it, but find it's lacking everything SQL-specific (or at least, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to handle migrations, etc).
What toolchain would you NodeJS devs out there recommend, given the above? Any and all help would be appreciated here!