This is a multipart blog article series, and in this series I am going to explain you the concepts of operating system. This article series is divided into multiple modules and this is the fifth module which consists of 26 articles.
In this article we will see various methods for allocation in primary memory in contiguous memory management system.
- Allocate the first hole that is big enough.
- In it searching time is less.
- Fast and simple to implement.
- Same as first-fit but start search always from last allocated hole.
- Search time is more than first-fit, as it has to search for the last hole that was filled.
- Allocate the smallest hole that is big enough.
- It will search the entire list, that’s why it is slow.
- It will allocate the process to that hole which will have the minimum internal fragmentation.
- Allocate the process to the largest hole.
- It will always search the entire list that’s why it is slow.
So this was all about various allocation methods in contiguous memory management system. Hope you liked it and learned something new from it.
If you have any doubt, question, quires related to this topic or just want to share something with me, than please feel free to contact me.