tl;dr I built https://www.impeachment.dev/ with Gatsby
A few weeks back, I was having a conversation with my mother and was attempting to explain everything that was going on with the current impeachment inquiry happening in the United States.
I quickly realized it would be easier if I could send her a timeline of events that lead to this point. After searching Google and couldn't come up with a timeline, I thought about creating my own! I figured that most of the information on the site would be static, and since I wanted to learn more about JAMstack, I went with Gatsby.
- Gatsby is AMAZING if you want to quickly build out a website using the templates provided in their documentation. Most of my dev time was spent customizing what I wanted the site to look like, and very little time on configuration.
- Adding a pipeline from Github → Netlify build was 😘👌*chef's kiss*. Setup took all of 5 minutes and now anytime
masteris updated, the website is updated within a few minutes allowing me to push out updates fairly quickly!
- Writing & researching about politics in a non-biased way is fairly difficult, but was a fun challenge for me!
- Gastby + Gatsby Starter Kit
- Semantic UI + Vertical Timeline Component
- Mocha & Enzyme
- CircleCI (Going to move to Github Actions soon!)
- Well, currently I'm trying to update it as often as possible, but it's becoming increasingly harder with how fast information is coming out. (contributors welcome 😉)
- I think optimizing the site would be next. Currently the search function isn't the fastest or most performant, so updating that would be great.
- Possibly build out individual profiles for the "key people" that would then produce an individual timeline of events for each person.
⬇️ Check out the website ⬇️
⬇️ Want to contribute? (PRs are very welcomed, still missing info!) ⬇️