Here are a few requirements:
- Renders in a browser environment (canvas, webGL, svg, etc.)
- Compatible desktop and mobile
- Interactive (detection of hovering, click event, etc.) on both nodes and connections
- Interconnected (node can be linked to other(s), through connections)
- Concept of proximity between nodes (some may be further away than other, depending on some criteria)
- Allows for visual customisation of the nodes/connections representation (CSS, etc.), to replace a "dot" with an image, for instance
Here is a visual that shows what it could look like:
A few considerations:
- I'm not looking for "the best" tool, but for any tool that matches those requirements.
- I'm not sure if the term "map" is the best one, don't hesitate to propose a better term.
- Optionally, a demo featuring the technology would be a great addition.