Hey friends! We all spend long hours working at the computer and thinking hard and it can be hard to remember to take care of yourself when there is so much to be done and so little time to do it. With that in mind, I wanted to share a #wellnesswednesday message here once a week!
This is a common tip, but one that can be easy to forget! I know I often stare at the screen for way too long! Here's the gist: Every 20 minutes look at something 20ft away for 20 seconds. If you're like me and often get too focused to remember when 20 minutes has gone by, here are some tips:
- Set a timer on your computer, watch, or phone to remind you to look away.
- Find something to look at - a plant, something out the window, or someone in the office (okay, that one might be a bit creepy).
- Get a buddy! If you find yourself not following through or dismissing the notifications for just one more minute, then consider syncing up with someone at the office. Find someone a bit away, set a notification, and smile/wave/do a little dance, when you both lock eyes.
No matter what your holiday plans, make a commitment to be there for it.
- If things get stressful, as they often do around this time, take 5 minutes a few times a day to just "be". Just exist for a few minutes - think about how you are feeling, pay attention to your breathing, and take stock of your surroundings.
- Pay attention to what you are eating. Often times around the holidays we eat just because it's what you do. Instead, pay attention to each bite - be thankful for the food, enjoy it, and actually sit down to eat.
- Engage in gratitude. Take some time to be thankful for what you have. Appreciate where you are, how you got there and the people that helped along the way.
- Remember to Leave Loudly!
Bonus: Spend some time doing some good. I'll be delivering toys and food to families around my hometown. It is the most rewarding and fulfilling experience during my holidays. I'd highly recommend finding some way to give back to your community this holiday!
We could all use some new gifs! Here is mine favorite for this week:
Hopefully even if you don't have holiday plans or aren't celebrating anything these tips will still be helpful! We can all use a bit more mindfulness now and then!
Thanks for reading! What holiday survival tips do you have? What is your favorite new gif discovery?