This is a weekly roundup of awesome DEV comments that you may have missed. You are welcome and encouraged to boost posts and comments yourself using the #bestofdev tag.
@saurabhdaware shared their fun text-to-handwriting project in What was your win this week?:
I was bored to write my college assignment so I wrote a tool that lets you turn text content to an image that looks like habdwriting😂
saurabhdaware / text-to-handwriting
So your teacher asked you to upload written assignments? Hate writing assigments? This tool will help you convert your text to handwriting xD
@roelofjanelsinga provided an answer to the prompt of Is PHP Dying?:
PHP is not lost at all, there are plenty of really good frameworks to use: Laravel, Symfony, Phalcon
- Yes, it's a great way to quickly set up applications and you can scale it really well
- PHP will stick around and get improved more over time. It's fast and gets great features for every release. It'll always be used for websites or application servers.
@bugsysailor shared their response to What is a project, you are really proud of? 🌇:
I photographed every sunrise of 2019, and so far every sunrise of 2020
Hugo / IMGIX / Netlify / jQuery / Dark Sky API / Google Maps API / Adobe Lightroom / Flickr / Snipcart
@roelofjanelsinga offered some suggestions about What are some good questions to ask when you're inheriting a codebase?:
Things such as:
- What are the steps I need to take to get this running on my machine?
- What does the deployment strategy look like? (PR for new features/fixes, Commit styles, build steps)
- What is the role of testing in this project?
- Where do you keep track of issues?
- Do you have a code style guide? (code rules)
Just some stuff to quickly write code in the same way as the current maintainers.
Finally, @thelebdev shared their co-working related horror story in the Do you have a remote work, or remote co-working space horror story to tell? Call us with your answer! thread:
Well. Recently, my brother and I split rooms. So I put my bed, setup, tools in my room and, well, my wardrobe was still in my brother's room. Mind you, he's a Tech Lead.
So one night I was getting ready to shower, I take off almost all of my clothes, walk into his room to get my PJs. The man was video-conferencing a potential candidate to his company. I'm not sure if I provided enough incentive for him to join.
See you next week for more great comments ✌
Top comments (4)
Congrats to @saurabhdaware , @roelofjanelsinga , @bugsysailor , @roelofjanelsinga , and @thelebdev for making the list this week!
Woah thank youuu 🥺🥺🎉
2 comments even, that's exciting!
Two great comments deserved the double recognition. Thanks for offering so much value back to the community this past week!