I don't want to start a discussion about the difference between Smartworking, Remote working and stuff like that. This post is useful for everyone who work remotely.
I have tried to collect some tips and suggestions from my last 4 years as remote worker.
And of course, I did a lot of mistakes and I continue to do mistakes.
- Remeber to have your laptop batteries charged
- Remember to have a backup for your mouse batteries (if you have a wireless mouse)
- A backup line data is a plus (the connection is everything for you)
- Configure at least one communication channel with your coworkers on the phone. You can tell them if your connection or your power is down
- An external webcam is better than the built-in laptop cam. For the quality but people want to see your entire face, not only the nose or your keyboard.
- A microphone with a good quality or at least an headset for the calls
- Sometimes try the company VPN even you don't need it every day
- Turn on your video when you are in a call. Non-verbal communication is important like the verbal one.
- During a call or a meeting, wait for a few seconds after the question "do you have any comments about that?". People need time to un-mute themselves.
- Avoid too much calls in a day. If you read the subject of the call request and you think it's not your topic or not interesting for you, ask to the organizer if your presence it's really important.
- Record all the meetings. Sometimes you have to drop a call early for urgent stuffs or just because you have 4 overlapping meetings.
- If you are a the presenter, preload all the links and presentations. It's annoying to see a web page loading screen for your attendees.
- During a presentation, remember to zoom your screen or change your resolution to Full HD. A lot of meeting software are optimized for a full hd streaming.
- Eating during a call is not a bad thing. You can work with people with different timezones.
- Dress your favorite clothes but don't work with your pigiama.
- At the end of a call, summarize the actions items and the responsible for each item.
- Invest on your home studio and your enviroment. Your productivity is more higher if you have a clean room and you like to stay there.
- Sometimes you feel lonely at home. Music, Podcast, TV (but not in front of you) can help to reproduce the office noises.
- Go our for fresh air time to time. It helps to stay healty and it's good to have new ideas and for solving problems.
- Don't work in the dark. Good light in the room is important. Even the hackers have the lights in the room.
- Create your habits to have a good start in the morning and during the day. Habits increase the productivity and you don't feel like lazy.
Do you have any additional tips or suggestions?