A React and Node.js app that searches for movies using the TMDB and OMDB database ⚛✨🎥. Try it out here: MovieDex
I came across this article: 9 Projects you can do to become a Frontend Master in 2020 while I was browsing around Dev and I wanted to build the first one in the list and so I did!
I made the first prototype in a single sitting. My app was able to search for movies and display them. Great!
But I wanted to amp things up!
I thought what if you even showed the movies details in form of modals?
And here you are, an app that searches movies and gives you the relevant details!
- Node.js : A server for handling all the API calls to the TMDB and OMDB API. I did not implement the calls in the client side as they involved calling with secret API keys.
- React : What I really focused on in this project. ⚛💙
- Material-UI : Absolutely loved the components! Some of the components I've used in this project are: Card, TextField, Dialog and my personal favorite, Skeleton loaders.
- The Movie Database : For searching the movies.
- Open Movie Database API : For extensive data. (Ratings were not provided by TMDB API).
- Logo by me. Font used: BLANKA. Some Photoshopping around and Ta-da! 😂
I started learning React in the beginning of July, I guess?
My learning sources included the awesome React tutorial by Codevolution on YouTube and the official React docs and some random but highly insightful blog posts by various authors.
I highly recommend the above mentioned tutorial.
I hope to make better and bigger things in the future! Continually learning and improving. If you like the project, please consider giving it a star on GitHub and sharing!😇 Any suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated. 😄
In case you missed the links,
Stay safe! =)
Update: Thanks to the people at js.org for giving Moviedex a neat domain!