Welcome to my "Week in Review" series. Each week I'm going to share what I discovered, learned, and tested with you. This series will be my own digital garden one day. Let's sow some seeds and jump right into the review.
Let's see what else I have on my list for you.
⛓Things I learned, found and tried in week 21/20 🔧
- Catalin Pit told me that Convertkit's modern theme does not work with dark mode... This was the final reason to move. The overall experience is not what I expected - they are doing great; it just doesn't work for me. Mailerlite is my new newsletter tool. Let's see what I say about them in a few weeks.
- I changed my default font. Fira Code was replaced by JetBrains Mono. Other developers also suggested Dank Mono, Mono Lisa, Operator Mono, Victor Mono, and Cascadia Code.
- Niall Maher hosted his Codú Community meetup on Tuesday. His guest was Jhey, CodePen Pro, and a friend of Niall and me. He was talking about Pug before he let us watch how he created balloons 🎈🎈🎈 with animations from scratch. That was insightful, my friends! Here are some of the tools and insights Jhey shared with us:
- Learn X in Y minutes (thx to Niall Maher)
- This one is really fun (thanks Eddy): whatthef**kismystack! Mine is S3-TravisCI-Ember.js-Firebase-AngularJS-Node.js 😂
- After being part of Jhey's workshop I wanted to dig more into the CSS animation topic again. Learning how to create pure CSS loaders with animations refreshed my knowledge quickly.
- It's really nothing special but yesterday I quickly created a simple animated Pokeball on Codepen :D. During my little practice I discovered https://cssgradient.io/ and https://gradientgenerator.com/ again. They are helpful.
- My first contribution to the DefinitelyTyped repo is waiting for approval - YEAH!
- Tailwind Starter Kit and tailblocks were two inspiring resources I used this week. 🚀
You see, Jhey entertained me almost my entire week. Especially when I add his book recommendation "Refactoring UI" (book, blog post) to the list. I bought the book two days ago. It is fantastic. Thanks again for the recommendation my friend. I recommend reading it - especially when you want to create top-notch interfaces.
One more thing - last week I forgot to share my learnings from attending the micro.sphere.it #1 Frontend Engineering event. Especially Zack Jackson's talk about Webpack 5 Module Federation got me hooked. Zack and I talked on Twitter already but seeing Webpack 5's Module Federation in action was very interesting. This is going to be very helpful IMHO. Watch the talk and you'll know what I mean.
This is it for week 21/20.
See you next week - same place, same platform. 👋🏻
Do you have fancy tools you want to share with me? I'm always ready to try new things! Just comment below, mention me on Twitter, or send me a DM. That would be awesome. 🥳
This post includes affiliate links; I may receive compensation if you purchase products or services from the different links provided in this article.