Welcome to my "Week in Review" series. Each week I'm going to share what I discovered, learned, and tested with you.
Last week I took a few days off from Social Media and spent some hours in the mountains. It was necessary and overdue to refill my energy tanks. That is the reason for a shorter than usual week in review episode. Hopefully, you still enjoy reading it.
Let's jump right into it.
In the last few weeks, I released that I lost my focus and was stressed a lot. It felt like I aimed at the "wrong" targets. Unsurprisingly I felt happy when I discovered Reflectly. They claim to help you reflect upon your daily thoughts and problems. Doesn't that sound great? Funny node aside, I pitched the same idea to my friend Lukas in fall 2017. 😅 Time flies; and too bad we did not invest more time into the project. Now I give Reflectly a try.
Do you know brain.fm or endel.io? They both offer sound environments to help you focus, relax, and sleep. Luckily I bought a lifetime membership for brain.fm a while ago. My usage time is still high. A few days ago I found endel. It looks like they offer a pretty good service as well. Haven't tried it since still. Do you use any of those two? Which one do you prefer?
Cheatsheets are super helpful. Whether you are learning a new framework, or can't remember all the commands of your favorite tools, they got you covered. devhints is my go-to website when I look up cheatsheets. Where do you find yours?
I did not progress reading "This is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See" by Seth Godin or listening to "Thinking, Fast and Slow" written by Daniel Kahneman on Audible last week.
What are you reading?
- "Every Noise at Once" is a fun way of discovering new music. If you love music and want to find more of your favorite genres, give it a try.
- Have you ever wanted to customize your macOS icons and customize folders? With image2icon you can.
- When thinking about moving to another country or city, it is a piece of good advice to calculate your must-have salary to maintain your standard of living. Guess what, there is a tool for that too: The relocation calculator.
- Onyx is on my fitness apps watchlist. Right now I have an injury and need to stop with sports 😐, but I will be back on track soon and try it. For running "adidas Running" is my #1 app. What are your fitness apps?
- As you might already know, I listen to books with Audible and read them on my Kindle Paperwhite. A few days ago I was talking with a friend about the value of highlights in audiobooks. If you are like me you highlight either a lot or nothing. What do you do with the highlights afterward? Have you ever looked at them again? Most of the time I forget about them. Not anymore, thanks to readwise.io!
- Teleport Meeting Space offers some funny background wallpapers and videos for your next Zoom meeting.
- Stay focused and be present with Forest.
- Automate your answers for new clients and recruiters with Alfred (thanks to David Leuliette).
- Do you need free web development resources? Marko Denic has created an awesome list for you.
- Are you new to the CSS Grid Layout? Have you used it already but want to learn more about it? Then this complete CSS Grid guide is for you.
- react-query is an interesting library offering hooks for fetching, caching, and updating asynchronous data in React. To be honest I have not used it yet. We use Apollo in many of our projects and are fine with the tools offered. But I want to. Do you use it and can share some insights with us?
Igor IriantoWhat was that one tech book that changed your life?15:14 PM - 29 Jun 2020
Niall Maher ☕️💜Weekend doodling. 😄
Nice way to take a break from the keyboard!08:37 AM - 29 Jun 2020
A good friend of mine released new songs this year and thanks to COVID-19 he cannot promote them the way he planned to. I will use my platform to share some of his songs. Here is one of them. Enjoy it and please leave a comment on YouTube! You do me and my friend a huge favor. THANK YOU!
This is it for week 27/20.
See you next week - same place, same platform. 👋🏻
This post includes affiliate links; I may receive compensation if you purchase products or services from the different links provided in this article.