“I do feel the pressure to be a manager, but not by my team at Microsoft, but by the industry in total. So much of what we work for as designers come down to being a Director, VP, or head of design. At times, as an IC, I feel as though I am limiting my career opportunities because not every company supports a principal IC position.”
More top stories:
- We’ve evolved past flat design. Where are we headed next? → By Bharat Arimilli
- Web Brutalism, seamfulness, and Notion → By Brandon Dorn
- Your next persona will be non-human — tools for environment-centered designers → By Monika Sznel
- How to solve a design problem? → By José Torre
- Retraining your ethnographic muscles for design ethnography → By Dr Benjamin Leclair
- Trillion dollars → Visualizing what a trillion dollars look like.
- AVIF has landed → A new, performance-optimized image format.
- Multi-systems → Introduction to multi-platform design systems.
- Observing order → An Investigation into ‘Order’ and ‘Chaos’. By Mark O'Neill
- PlatformAbuse.org → A guide to safer product development.
- Git live → Like Figma, for code.
- CSS perspective → Diving into the perspective CSS attribute.
- System health → How to measure the health of a design system.
We believe designers are thinkers as much as they are makers. So we created the design newsletter we have always wanted to receive.