What's the difference between a software developer and software engineer?
asofteng May 16
As a grade 10 high-school dropout with no formal eduction, who decided to skip school and jump into a career in development, I find my last two careers, the first question they had for me is, What is the difference between a software developer and software engineer? - A question, at it's forefront, that struck me off guard, and helped me appreciate the world of development.
At first, my thought process was to answer with a naive question, "Is there really a difference between a developer and engineer?" - This was struck with hardship from the potential employer at the offset, and indicated there are differences, they asked me to, at a high level, name 10 key differences between a developer and an engineer.
I know what you're thinking, how am I supposed to answer that as a grade 10 dropout? It's a difficult question to answer, so I had a think about it, and here's what I found:
A Software Developer Is
- someone who knows code to any degree
- someone who is able to understand to any degree the requirements and how they could implement it
- someone who is passionate about the code they're writing
- someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind
A Software Engineer Is
all of the aforementioned traits, in addition to...
- someone who can quickly and easily scope and understand requirements in depth
- someone who is able to fully digest and design the systems to be scalable within a reasonable technical capactiy
- someone who can speak fluently about the design decisions and principles to non-technical individuals and assist them in understanding the decisions and reasonable requirements made
- someone who, at the off-set, willing to, able to, and will interrupt the design or development process and raise concerns over practical and impractical development guidelines and decisions
- someone who, not only can determine how they can fix a problem or implement a feature, but can also determine how others can, and is willing to assist along the way
With this in mind...
How would you define the difference, if any, between a software developer and software engineer?
This week I decided to talk about a couple of things that I feel like probably a lot of you might go through on your way to getting where ever it is you want to get to. And that is that burn out feeling or lack of motivation after the fun of doing something turns into well work. And having the patience to get to your goal.