The Cloud Skills Show is back for a brand new series! Each week we bring guests together from the technical community in the UK and around the world to talk about learning, professional growth and community.
In Series 1 we looked at AI, security, programming languages, web & frontend and resources for students. In Series 2, we'll be covering even more technical topics, but we wanted to start the series by looking at Hacktoberfest, and since the premiere is 1st October - what better a time to talk about it!
We started this week's show with a brief recap of Microsoft Ignite, and then the rest of the show was dedicated to Hacktoberfest. If you're new to Hacktoberfest, it's a month-long global event organised by the folks at DigitalOcean with Intel and Dev.To. Around the world, thousands of technical communities take part, including communities in and around Microsoft.
Anyone can take part in Hacktoberfest, and you don't need to be an experienced developer to get started. We'll show you how, on the show!
We are proud that our MVP Community and our Cloud Advocate team are keen contributors to Hacktoberfest, and we wanted to share some of their stories, and meet some of the people they collaborate with.
On this week's show we met:
- Floor Drees (she/her) - Floor will be the main guest host this week and is an Advocacy Program Manager at Microsoft, based in Amsterdam.
- Pete Gallagher (he/him) - Pete is a previous guest on Cloud Skills Show, having appeared on our languages & frameworks episode in August. Pete is a Software Consultant, Microsoft MVP and Microsoft Certified Trainer. He also organises Nottingham IoT and dot net notts meetups, as well as writing for Pluralsight.
- Jessica White (she/her) - Jessica is also a previous Cloud Skills Show guest and was on the same episode as Pete. Jessica is a Software Developer, Microsoft MVP and organises DDD East Midlands and dot net notts.
- Anna Dodson (she/her) - Senior Software Engineer at DVSA Digital and organiser of Tech Nottingham and Women in Tech Nottingham.
- Jamie Tanna (he/him) - Senior Software Engineer at Capital One, organiser of Homebrew Website Club Nottingham and advocate of Open Source Software.
- Tania Allard (she/her) - Senior Cloud Advocate at Microsoft. Tania is responsible for Python, Open Source and Academic Research communities at Microsoft. She is a passionate contributor to Hacktoberfest and supports communities in Manchester, UK and across Latin America.
- Craig Porteous (he/him) - Microsoft Data Platform MVP and organiser of Glasgow Data User Group and Data Scotland.
- Paul Broadwith (he/him) - Microsoft Cloud and Datacentre Management MVP, community organiser and passionate contributor to Hacktoberfest.
|Microsoft Ignite – Book of News (Long Read!)||https://aka.ms/cs-bon|
|Windows Virtual Desktop||https://aka.ms/cs-wvd|
|Microsoft Teams Updates||https://aka.ms/cs-igniteteams|
|Microsoft Teams Displays||https://aka.ms/cs-teamsdisplays|
|Azure VMWare Solution||https://aka.ms/cs-vmware|
|Azure Certified Device Program||https://aka.ms/cs-certdevice|
|.NET 5 RC||https://aka.ms/cs-dotnet5|
|Hacktoberfest Event Listing||https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/events|
|Tania Allard's Hacktoberfest Article||https://aka.ms/cs-hack-tania|
|Jessica White's Hacktoberfest Article||https://aka.ms/cs-hack-jess|
|Best practices for maintainers and contributors, resource by GitHub||https://opensource.guide/|
|.NET Notts Hacktoberfest Issues||https://github.com/dotnetnotts/dotnetnotts-web/issues|
|Resource for learning about Git||https://learngitbranching.js.org|
|Hacktoberfest Scotland Event registration page||https://bit.ly/hack-scotland|
Here is the agenda:
|2pm||Welcome and recap of Microsoft Ignite||Adam, Pete & Jessica|
|2.10pm||Hacktoberfest Intro and Nottingham Communities||Floor, Pete, Jessica, Anna & Jamie|
|2.25pm||Manchester Communities & contributing.today||Floor & Tania|
|2.35pm||Scottish Communities||Floor, Craig & Paul|
Every week we livestream on Microsoft's Learn TV and you'll also be able to find the show on Twitter @MSdevUK and on the Microsoft Developer UK YouTube account. Join us for this show at these times each Thursday:
If you require captioning, that’s available on Learn TV and YouTube via the controls below the video.