I got a new MacBook Pro. I like to take these times to refresh my application use, and one choice of mine is to go in on Firefox as my default browser.
It's hard to find the time for new habits, even things as simple as browser switching, but this is as good a time as any.
I'm going with Firefox for a few reasons...
- Browser diversity: With Microsoft Edge moving to Chromium, we are that much closer to the mono-browser. This is worth resisting.
- Support for Mozilla: All else equal, I'm excited to be a user of the open source non-profit.
- Privacy: Google and/or Microsoft don't need to know any more about me than they already do.
- Performance and craftsmanship: I get the notion that Firefox is being developed on a solid foundation and making a lot of good longterm choices.
- It's a perfectly fabulous browser all around. I'm not missing anything I had with Chrome.
I think Chrome, V8, etc. have done incredible things for the web. I'm not anti-Chrome in an overly impassioned way, but I'm very happy to be taking the Firefox plunge.