Going into a two year-plus pandemic I wanted to stay extremely busy, so immersed myself in a lot of different groups and projects. I put myself out there and was able to get over a fear of public speaking.
I had goals for 2020 set, before everything went south and we all locked ourselves away for a year. I accomplished more than what I had planned and some things I did at the drop of a hat with no preparing or planning.
I had been a member of the W3C and would just sit in meeting and not say an awful lot. Just a hello and introduction to who I was.
I felt a huge amount of imposter syndrome sitting in meetings with folks from Microsoft, Oracle, Google, etc. There I was, just some random nobody who was trying to keep busy.
As time went on and I got more comfortable with meetings and talking with people who were just like me. Human beings. I was able to open up and contribute what I could and interact more. About two (maybe more) weeks ago, I was finally approved for the title of Invited Expert, which was something I had on my list of goals.
Strike one goal off the list and mark it accomplished.
Some other accomplishments:
- Spoke at a few virtual conferences.
- BarCamp Philly (the first I ever spoke at)
- Web Directions AAA
- I spoke at ConnectTech in Atlanta. (First live talk ever)
- Wrote articles for Smashing Magazine and CSS-Tricks
- Appeared on a bunch of terrific podcasts and livestreams.
Started a podcast.
- Producing audio and video versions.
- Moved from Maine to Arizona.
- Underwent two surgeries.
- Was named Smashing Magazine's Person of the Week
- Celebrated leveling up to Level 50 on my level up day (birthday).
- Worked at an amazing company, with some amazing people at Knowbility.
- Moved on to my current role as Accessibility Engineer at WebstaurantStore
- Started a podcast about accessibility and code with Homer Gaines.
2022 is going to be a busy year, so I best get back to getting to it. I pat myself on the back for what I accomplished and for whatever you did in 2021, give yourself a pat on the back as well. You deserve the kudos.