Photo by Bogomil Mihaylov on Unsplash
Alex has opened a discussion on what you do while you are outside.
What do you do in your two hours out of home?
Alex Ruzenhack ・ Aug 26 '18 ・ 1 min read
As someone living in New York City, I take public transportation thus have a lot of free time during commute. So while I am outside (I am rarely outdoors... 😛) I listen to podcasts.
Martin had a similar routine while shopping listening to podcast (in the same post by Alex).
I usually do my shopping and listen to podcasts - same as while commuting. :)
And he has shared his podcasts subscriptions grouped by topics.
I will share mine in hope of spreading podcast that might help you, as well.
It's sorted at random
I've started as a .NET developer so here are Microsoft technology focused podcasts I follow.
- The must for .NET developers as Carl Franklyn & Richard Campbell has been sharing knowledge over a decade.
- Started off as a pure .NET oriented podcast but also deals with more general technologies as well.
The .NET Core Podcast
- This is a new .NET Core focused podcast by Jamie "GaProgman" Taylor.
- The first episode talks about how .NET Core came out to be (A Brief History of .NET Core), which has a very interesting history.
A NEW podcast for Microsoft developers covering topics such as Azure/cloud, Windows, Windows Phone, .NET, Visual Studio, and more! Hosted by Jason Young and Carl Schweitzer.
- Provides up to date (or even spoilers on what's coming in Windows) Microsoft (not just Windows) news and events.
Podcasts that deals with every aspect of software engineering/developer life.
- Three dudes (Joe Zack, Allen Underwood, Michael Outlaw) talking about programming.
- This has been my 💓 podcast not just because of the content but also because of the friendly Slack community. I highly recommend you to join their Slack to learn and have fun~ (I am on it all the time as @dance2die ).
The Cynical Developer
- James "the Cynical Developer" Studdart has been sharing technical tips and knowledges as well as software skills, which we as a developer seem to lack the most.
- Thank you & Congrats for the two year anniversary, James.
Complete Developer Podcast
- Will Grant & BJ Burns also talks about not only technical aspects of programming but also "cover the other areas of life".
Behind The Tech with Kevin Scott
- Hosted by Microsoft’s CTO Kevin Scott
- Kevin brings in guests who have accomplished much and shares their experiences.
The 6 Figure Developer Podcast
- If you want to grow your career, check it out.
Junior Developer Toolbox
- This is a sister podcast of Complete Developer Podcast, in which hosts talk about everything "about everyday life as a junior developer".
- Productivity focused podcast.
Software Engineering Daily
- Covers every aspect of software engineering.
Weekly Dev Tips
- Each tip can be listened to before you can finish a cup of coffee.
The day's tech news, every day at 5pm. From Techmeme.com, Silicon Valley's most-read news source. 15 minutes and you're up to date.
- If you don't want to spend hours trying to catch up with today's tech news.
- Scott Hanselman has been bringing guests with many different background and been awesome for over a decade.
Web related podcasts
The Console Log
egghead.io developer chats
- EggHead.io says it all.
- Party 🎈🎉 anyone?
React Round Up
- devchat.tv podcast focused on React.
- Hosted by M&Ms (Michael Jackson & Michael Chan).
- If you have been using React, those names might be familiar 😁.
- These guys know web stuff, really well.
- Fun packed episodes by Wes Bos & Scott Tolinski.
The Web Platform Podcast
- Web technologies might be overwhelming but this podcast laids everything well.
👋 Parting Words
There are too many already so just check the ones you might be interested in.
And thank you again Martin, for sharing your list 👍
Top comments (16)
Thank you for your share.
I would like to add some of mine:
I just found out that ChangeLog one has a master feed which includes JS Party... after all this time listening to it, wasn't aware 😝
Oh and... check this one out, The ChangeLog ep 310 - Open sourcing the DEV community. You will see a familiar face.
Sooo many of our listeners have no idea that we have a master feed! ¯\(ツ)/¯
Here's the link, for those interested: changelog.com/master
Thanks Jerod for the link.
The master feed definitely is a great idea 🙃.
Saves me from digging around 20+ subscribed podcast.
Thank you for such a comprehensive list. I'd also recommend Soft Skills Engineering - softskills.audio/
Thanks Helen 💃.
I already like the title of the latest episode, Episode 121: Working Remotely Without Hating It and Managing Rotating Engineers as I have been considering a remote position lately
There is a TON of great podcasts here!
Definitely check out Code Story, you will like it.
Apple Podcasts: podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/code...
Google Podcasts: playmusic.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.goog...
Pocket Casts: pca.st/Z1k7
I also recommend CodeNewbie and BaseCS for fun learning. Great list!
It's funny that I am on CodeNewbie slack but didn't know about the podcast 😅
And.... just subscribed to'em both.
Oh I see Kevin Scott in CodeNewbie podcast S4:Ep8~.
Nice list, thanks for following up :)
How many hours/week are you listening and what app are you using?
You're welcome, Martin.
And I will answer your questions in-line 👇.
I listen about an hour or two every day.
But I listen at 2x so I'd listen about 15~20 podcasts weekly.
I use Overcast on iPhone.
Found it easy to use and been using it happily for two years 😎.
If you have any suggestions, I am all 👂s :)
Thanks for this list. There are definitely some new ones for me to check out 🎧
Oh heya, thanks for the shout out!!!
☝️ I am sure you recognize that emoji 🙃
Lots of useful resources here!