You're making a website, and you want it to look good, but you don't know how. Here's a helping hand, I'm sure this will be a helpful guide to building good looking websites.
Yeah, use markdown instead. Learning markdown is way easier than html. This post is written using markdown, and every post on DEV uses markdown. I'm not going to explain markdown basics, but markdown is eventually processed into html any way, so you can still use html in a markdown file(you likely won't need to do this often, markdown usually makes things easy).
Okay, you want to style your Web App or Website. Here are the most important basic tips.
- Don't use thick borders
- Don't colour your borders
Use online tools to help:
- online colour pickers
- online blenders
- free css dividers(must be able to copy and paste code)
- free basic css animations
some unique design
- Use svgs over other image types
- Use classes for all animations and effects
- Make some of the effects on hover or mouseover
- Use scrolling/scrollbar effects(ex. a progress bar at the top)
- Use css variables for your colours
- Have a dark and light mode(not always applicable)
- If your website has a functional usage, like a calculator or IDE, make a quick skippable UI tutorial
- Make your title text change if the visitor does something, like leaving.
Okay that was a lot of things I should do, how do I do them?
Here are two posts that will likely give you a boost:
- 40+ High Quality Free Resources for Web Development
- 50+ free tools and resources to create awesome user interfaces