Yes CSS frameworks can be useful and speed up web design time which is the main purpose of why they were created.
But the issue with using CSS frameworks is that:
- You will eventually forget css and not be able to use it when css frameworks are not an option
- Having custom styles is complicated (overriding issues) and will require multiple css files to be loaded.
- Designing custom styled apps and websites is awesome and very creative as well as challenging, why avoid this? (My main reason)
- Your designs will look generic, many people use bootstrap, material ui, etc. They all look the same.
- Create your own css framework to use as your own personal style, this is much more rewarding and can be reused for future projects.
There are many more reasons i dislike css frameworks. These are just the main ones.
Do you agree? Let me know your thoughts below!
To clarify, as some people got a little excited, this article is an opinion piece and not meant to change people's way of doings things. I am simply dicussing why i don't like CSS frameworks, if you like to use them then by all means please do. This article only suggests, it does not force you to stop using frameworks - the title is just provocative on purpose.