As developers I know we have a habit of just digging in and working endlessly.
We do it for passion, we do it for fun, we do it when we're bored... for a pay check.
But after a while, we forget to take breaks, to stop and smell the roses.
My son is laying in the hospital with a life altering illness, with the possibility of him never coming home.
It's brought a lot to us, stress, hurt, fear... love, closeness and awareness.
He's only 4 years old but he's been through more in life than most will. Even in his situation he still stops to smile, to do our family fist bump.
He finds the joy in what he's passionate about, which is Spiderman and Lego Ninjago.
He's taught me a valuable lesson, which I hope to spread the message. No matter what you do in life, how hard it is, there is always time to smile and truly spend a few minutes enjoying what it is that makes you happy.
So today, take the time to do what you enjoy. Even if it is coding, do with with the mindset that you get to code, not that you have to code.
Stop and count your blessings. Are you able to work with what you love? Can you help others? Share your creations? Learn each and every day.
Don't let your passion and joy be dimmed by the daily grind. If you feel frustrated, annoyed or discouraged, it is most likely that you've forgotten to stop and smell the roses... or stop and have "spiderman time" as my son puts it.
There are simple steps you can take to re-find the joy and it's probably so simple that it escaped your thoughts.
It starts with being kind, because when you're kind, you tend to be happier and when you are happier, you take better care of yourself and you feel better about yourself.
When you feel better about yourself, it changes your mindset, and gives you a view that what you're doing is worth while.
So here are a few things to help you reset your situation and get back on track.
- Reach out to a friend and say something nice to them.
- Ask someone if they would like to talk, which includes hearing them but also talking about yourself.
- Write down 5 things you're grateful for (roof over head, cloths on back, food in belly, phone, code, air, ground to walk on, ability to walk..., anything really)
- Thank yourself for being you
- Tell yourself you're awesome and you're loved
- Message me, and I'll give you a compliment or share something of yours with me and I'll tell you how great that it is.
Then go back to your project and view it in a positive manor. Have fun with it.
You deserve to be happy, we all do. It starts now, take the steps.