Everyone likes fame and some of us achieve it too at some community group or at the organization level. But, the truth is it fades
As a developer, we get appreciated many times for our awesome work and it also encourages us to keep doing good stuff.
Being honest, I have done many things to impress team members, leads, colleagues, juniors, clients etc... and everything I have done was productive...
So people around my organization started to recognize me. There are some perks of being famous which are
- Surrounding people become nice to you.
- Opportunities arise for you
- You get noticed
So initially, we like being famous... But everything has a price to pay. There are also cons of it
- You will get more work and it will also keep increasing gradually
- You won't get appreciated as after some time it's not astonishing for others if you do amazing work of the same level as your previous work
- You get the pressure of keep impressing everyone
- You easily get noticed if you do a single mistake
The above-mentioned things happened to me. So at this stage, I felt that I am not valued enough or in the technical term I am deprecating.
It gave me a bit of anxiety but then I have started blogging to share my thoughts and I again felt good. While going through the dev.to blogs, I found a blog and there was a quote
“Don’t expect to be motivated every day to get out there and make things happen. You won’t be. Don’t count on motivation. Count on Discipline.”
Blog - Good habits, good code quality
I am actually inspired by it, Truth was known to me but I was busy impressing everyone... and a sharp question arose in my mind. Which is
Why I need motivation or appreciation for doing amazing work?
...and a happy ending :D