Check Out the Stream @ https://twitch.tv/talk2megooseman
Today I Learned:
- Visual Studio Online is pretty cool and easy to get running
- Github Package Registry doesnt make gems publicly available for download
- Found nice little rate limit gem for specific methods in the code
- [x] What to call today's log
- [x] Review last streams TODOs
- [x] Review Over all tasks
- [x] Try out https://online.visualstudio.com/
- [x] Try out rate limiter for sensitive endpoints
- [ ] Put talk_like_a_pirate gem in my own gem registry https://github.com/talk2MeGooseman/Stream-Closed-Captioner/issues/33
- Visual Studio Online
- It's cool that you can point to a repo when you want to create a new dev env
- Issue: Annoying that you can close the editor and go back to the env list
- Observation: Using Setting Sync with the Login with Github feature doesnt work because of the callback URL handling
- Observation: Great for doing an interview in conjunction with VS Code Live Share
- Issue: Automatic port forwarding did not work for me when starting up storybook
- Observation: So in order to access your running website you need to use Port Forwarding. In my case auto port forwarding didnt trigger so I had to go and manually add a port that storybook was running on. The real nice thing is that the port forwarded URL authenticated so you dont have to worry about other accessing it.
- Observation: Hot module reloading will not work with port forwarding of the site
- Issue: It impossible trying to get to the docs for any help because there is no linking anywhere on the IDE or the management page
Github Package Registry for gem
- Because the maintainer the talk_like_a_pirate gem has not responded to requests to release the new Rails 6 compatible version I came up with an idea. Release the gem on my own package registry for fun!
- Created a new Github Action from this template https://github.com/actions/starter-workflows/blob/master/ci/gem-push.yml
- Had to generate new token for future package registry actions
- This was super easy to OMG, check it out: https://github.com/talk2MeGooseman/talk_like_a_pirate/packages/49800
- Now I have a custom release of the gem accessible to everyone!
- AUGHHH..... You still need auth with a token to publicly install the gem. This isnt what I wanted.... NotLikeThis
Rate Limit work
- Found a nice gem that can potentially rate limit specific methods in my code that makes requests to Twitch https://github.com/Shopify/limiter
- Had install issues and luckily found this issue that help resolve it https://www.notion.so/talk2megooseman/Stream-11-5-2019-Powerful-Goose-Gems-2abe6c2f859641b291d7525f92650d50
- Twitch Prime Resub
- [ ] Need to fix rspec spec for rails 6 upgrade and look into deprecation warnings.
- [ ] Still need to wait on gem being released for full rails 6 upgrade