NOTE: This is issue #067 of my newsletter, which went live on Monday, June 6th. If you find this information useful and interesting and you want to receive future issues as they are published, ahead of everyone else, I invite you to join the subscriber list at frontendnexus.com.
This week brings even more browser updates. We got Firefox 101, Edge 102, and Vivaldi 5.3. The WordPress community celebrated 19 years of existence. And the releases of the week include Angular 14, Node v18.3, and more.
Firefox 101 has been released on May 31st. Here are some of the notable features in this update:
- support for the
- you can assign a custom action when the download is ready for any MIME types that are not already configured
- support for large (
lv*), small (
sv*), dynamic (
dv*), and logical (
*vb) viewport units
- support for multiple microphones when doing a web conference
For more details, you can explore the official release notes linked below.
Last week WordPress launched version 6. This week they celebrated 19 years of existence. Check out how the community celebrated this milestone.
Rachel Andrew published another roundup of the new web platform updates that landed in May. We got Chrome 102, Edge 102, Safari 15.5, Firefox 100, and Firefox 101 from the stable channels.
Still no release notes for Chrome 102 though. I wonder why.
The Microsoft Edge team pushed the 102 update. Once more I find their release notes extremely technical and not user-friendly.
Vivaldi released the 5.3 update, bringing the new Editable Toolbars. You can now also sync your search engine options between all your browser instances, no matter the platform: desktops, laptops, Android tablets and phones, or even cars.
- Vivaldi 5.3: Tweak and tune your browser with the new Editable Toolbars
- Vivaldi on Android: Get ready to rename your Two-level Tab Stacks, search languages in dropdown menu, sync search engines, and more
- Angular 14 - a development platform for building mobile and desktop web applications
- Ava v4.3.0 - Node.js test runner
- Recoil 0.7.3 - Alternative state management for React from Facebook
Ukraine is still suffering from the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it:
- 📢 share the link to this issue on social media
- ❤️ follow this newsletter on Twitter
- ☕ buy me a coffee
Each of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
That's all I have for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!