DAY 8 - Strategies and Tools to Perform Large-Scale Migrations: Part I
☁️100 days of Cloud- Day Eight
✅Follow Me on Twitter
Tweet This Blog - Read on GitHub - Read On iCTPro.co.nz
What is a cloud migration?
Moving application, data, and your IT infrastructure resources to a cloud computing environment.
Drivers to migrating to cloud
- scenarios like re architecting your current apps to ☁️ cloud native.
- Going serverless on ☁️ cloud.
- Increase in business agility 🕴️ , improve productivity by 30% to 70% .
- Competitive advantage.
- Less physical infrastructure management, everything will be in cloud ☁️.
Some barriers you can expect during your cloud adoption
- Existing investment 💰.
- Upfront expenses .
- Skeptical Skate holders🤝.
- Application interdependencies ↪️.
- Concerns of down time during migration ⬇️.
- lack of cloud expertise ⛈️.
How can you Make your Cloud Migration Journey Successful
Provides clarity on business propose, align clarity on business and technical requirement.
Cloud First Strategy ☁️
Create a Vision, Motivate and encourage team Members to follow the Vision. Support them in each stage when they need you.
Define operating model , implement cloud native policies process and opportunities for training.
Define your roadmap , Start small and iterate , measure , manage and update the plan
Cloud Center of excellence 👔
Provide centralized expertise and guide for innovation & to understand cloud migration.
Principles and standards 🧭
Guide team to understand principals and standards in cloud migration
Ability to experiment and recommendation on architecture will also help in successful migration.
Common Migration Strategies
Rehost or Lift and Shift🏋️.
AWS System manager ca help to do this automatically. Application can be re-Architecting will be easier once the infrastructure is in cloud.
Re-platform or Lift and Reshape⛅.
Adopting managed platforms. Also understand the app and migrate to the right service like containers or serverless solutions.
Changing current product license to get a cloud native product.
Refactor and Re-Architect 🎛️
Good for business goals like more feature and functions. Most expensive solution , if SOA (service oriented architecture) is required by business this is the right choice.
Retire or Retain 📝.
Identify the resources that can be retired and focus on running and innovate more with cloud.
Retain required infrastructure.
Understanding the adoption Stages 🚸
- Project ,get familiar with cloud and understand the benefits of cloud.
- Foundation , build the foundation by creating a landing zone. An multi account aws environment (AWS Organizations, Control tower is your goto for AWS).
- Migration , this phase you migrate mission critical apps or ICT infrastructure to Cloud.
- Reinvention , focus on reinvention by taking the advantages of cloud computing.
MRA & CAF
MRA - migration readiness assessment
Conducted by AWS or partners to understand how ready you are to adopt the cloud technology. It will also help you to understand your capabilities.
CAF - Cloud Adoption framework
AWS CAF identifies specific organizational capabilities that underpin successful cloud transformations.AWS CAF groups its capabilities in six perspectives: Business, People, Governance, Platform, Security, and Operations
Why should we do Migration readiness assessment ?
- Helps to understand potential pot holes and road blocks on your migration.
- Scoping the Migration readiness plan, understanding what need to be migrated and what not to be.
How to do an MRA (Migration Readiness Assessment)?
Conducted by AWS with AWS partner
- identify if you are qualified for MAP.
- schedule meeting & require attendance of stake holders.
- Use MRA as Guide.
- Analysis MRA results and Build Observations.
- Schedule and conduct out-brief with customer.
to be continued on What are the Strategies and Tools to Perform Large-Scale Migrations: Part II .........
Top comments (0)